Friday, November 5, 2010

Happy Diwali!

 Sorry I have not posted in a while. I had a cold a while back which put me under for a few days and then shortly after I had food poisoning that again put me a little under the weather. After that i must have forgotten that I keep a blog! A big shout out to Mike for reminding me of my duties to my faithful followers!
 Today is Diwali! If I understood correctly it is the day when India got their independence from England! Oh how we Americans can relate, eh? To any foreign traveler who may not understand what is going on, they may wonder if a war has broken out across the entire country. Why? Oh well you can actually buy bombs from street vendors for this happy occasion! Outside my window right now I hear them going off every second. It sounds like I have landed in an actual "Call of Duty" session.
 Fireworks are sold too. You can buy sparklers of course but how boring when you can buy the giant professional looking fireworks for only 1000 rupees! 20 bucks in American Lingo. No one goes to a freshly grass cut park here to watch these giant fireworks go off. They do them right in their front yard and shame on you if you are dumb enough to get hurt! There is some logic there that I like.
 The smoke is thick and soon we wont be able to see any cars passing by. Oh and silly us for having our 4th of July for only 1 day out of the year. India celebrates it right by going an entire three days of celebrating! So hats off guys and girls! Earplugs in! It's Diwali time so light them bombs up!
 Kevin, Stephen and I just lit all the fireworks and bombs we had. The neighbor kids came with us and the smile and laughs on their faces were hilarious! The two girls kept laughing at me as I ran away and plugged my ears every time a bomb was lit. I watched in amazement as they were laughing at me thinking I was silly! They are standing next to a bomb! Ok not the bombs that dropped over Baghdad of course, but bombs that could easily take a hand or a foot should you get close enough. But chaos does rule India it seems so it only seems appropriate to stand next to a small bomb.
 So here is my update! I am still alive and I hope to still be after this three day Holiday! Not wanting to miss out on more fun playing with explosives I am going to say goodbye and I promise to write more!

1 comment:

  1. Love the personal shout out...AND the nerd-girl video game reference!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete