Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I became my own worst enemy

 I never thought it would happen! I cant believe it has happened! Today something changed in me. I became my own worst enemy! I remember when I was in middle school and teachers would talk to me and my fellow classmates as if we were children. Oh how my blood would boil and my hands would shake. I am not a child so don't you dare talk to me like one!
 Looking back I see that yes I was a child and all of us in that classroom needed to be spoken to in such a way. But today I was that teacher! After weeks of Kevin, Stephen, Cheryl and I repeating the same thing over and over again and seeing that these MS students of engineering were still making the same mistakes we had corrected them on time and time again I just snapped! I noticed the major problem was that since the beginning these students do not take notes. I marched up to the front of the class and told everyone to hold either a pen or pencil in their hand and raise it up. I watched as some students had to leave there seats to find someone with an extra writing utensil. Who comes to college without a pen? Then I told them to hold up paper in their other hand. Again I waited till I saw all 54 students with both hands up in the air. I directed them on how to place the paper down in front of them and hold the pen and to get ready to write down every word I said.
 I spent the next few minutes repeating myself of the same exact stuff I said two weeks ago. At the very end I made them write that they promise to follow everything that was said and to not make the same mistakes anymore. Then I had them sign it as if it were a legal contract.
 I feel ashamed almost. I was a kid when a teacher treated us like this. Here we have smart engineers who are just not taking the english part seriously. Will I look back years from now and feel comforted thinking that yes they were kids? Just how I had to look back at myself as a kid when I was in middle school? Did you ever have a teacher who treated you like that? What was your reaction? Will I have students resenting me?
 I am my own worst enemy.

3 comments:

  1. As someone who once made a teacher cry...in high school...maybe I shouldn't comment much on this....

    But, I totally agree that people should bring pens and paper to class...and no adult should need to be told the same thing over and over again in class...that's just craziness. I wish I could have seen "mean" Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have seen Mike make a teacher cry in high school! Whats the story behind that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll tell you when you get back! :-)

    ReplyDelete