Saturday, November 13, 2010

Jedcherla

 Jedcherla is the first rural city I have seen since comeing to India. It is the village where my boss' family lives and his family was nice enough to invite us over for the day. We left at around 1 in the afternoon with Manisha and Arnab. The drive to the village is a little over an hour. It was a breath of fresh air to get out of the busy city and actually see land. Rice fields were endless along the road. The roads were empty compared to the 24/7 traffic jam that fills up the city. All of us sat in quiet for the most part just taking it all in. Seeing people live their daily lives in the fields brought on feelings of simple pleasure and sadness but amazing all the same.
 About a mile before reaching the house of the Jedcherla's we saw camels and their owners walking along the side of the road. I thought it was cool just to see them. Our amazing driver, Ravi, new about my love for camels and pulled over for me to get out. He talked to the riders to see if I could go for a little ride. They  negotiated a price and next a latter was hanging on the side of the camel waiting for us to climb on.
 Manisha told me seconds before I was about to ride that camels actually have some nasty tempers on them. They bite you, spit and are just plain mean. I panicked at first thinking this was eat. Death by Camel! But then when I saw how gentle they were when Stephen climbed up I once again felt my love for these creatures and climbed up. It was awesome! I never realized how tall some camels could get and this one was tall!
 After arriving at the house I met Srikanth's very friendly family. They invited us in and quickly served us coffee and cookies. We looked at pictures of the family and were told where each one resides and the profession they took. While in the house it started to pour outside. We entertained our selves by each taking a turn in a swinging chair that hung in the living room. I think every home should have one of these. Remember the baby chairs that had the two holes where the legs could go letting the baby be able to jump up and down? Think that but without the holes!
 After the rain stopped, Mr. Jadcherla took us around the village and to the market place. First he showed us around his yard and gave me a twig of "Snake Repellent." I have no idea if this is an urban myth but the twig of plant he gave me somehow keeps snakes at bay. I am going to make a few orders of this plant and have them put up all around the house.
 The village felt more like a movie set. It took a while for me to actually believe that most people do not go home to a furnished home. The brightly colored costumes that they wore turned out to not be costumes at all. In fact, a lot of thought goes in to why traditional tribal women dress the way they do. The mirrors on their clothes are to reflect light to keep predators away. Women where heavy anklets that make sound to scare snakes away. Hard shell like bangles are worn all the way up their arms to protect them should a tiger attack and bit their arm. The same is true for the shell necklace worn around the neck.
 Children followed us around the market hoping for us to hand out money. When they grew impatient they tried to force their hands into our pockets. I was told not to hand out money for a few reasons. The first is if I do a mob will more than likely occur and they will grab you and hold you down wanting more money. The second is, children especially usually never get or keep the money. They work for a gang and must give whoever the lead is all the money keeping the children poor. Think Slum Dog Millionaire where the man purposely blinded that boy to get more money. That is real and it is common.
 The drive back was peaceful. We stopped at a little food stop off the side of the road. We ordered coffee, sat back and enjoyed the company on one another. The food smelled amazing but I did not dare order any food. For foreigners the most amazing smelling, authentic food is contaminated.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this picture- it looks like it belongs in a magazine!
    Glad you got away from the city for a while and that you got to ride a camel!! That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete